While it can be a little stressful at times, moving to a new home can also be one of the most exciting experiences we’ll have in life. The idea of starting a new life in a different house and different surroundings can be invigorating, but there are still a few considerations you should bear in mind before you make the move.
If you’re considering a move soon or already have one scheduled, below are a few considerations you should try and bear in mind.
How Are You Going to Move Your Belongings?
In essence, you pretty much only have two options here – taking the DIY approach and trying to move your things yourself or entrusting your belongings to a professional home moving firm.
If you don’t own that much, then it might be feasible to do the move yourself, or with the help of friends, but, in most cases, it’s normally better to work with an experienced company. In particular, larger common household items, like beds or sofas, can be difficult and heavy to move so, instead, look at using the services of a firm experienced in furniture delivery, such as the service found at https://www.shiply.com/large-item-delivery/cheap-furniture-delivery.php.
Try to Schedule the Move for the Best Day and Time That Suits You
Everyone is different, but you should try to think of a day and time that’s likely to cause the least disruption to your ongoing responsibilities (and that of your family, if applicable). Ideally, you’ll be able to find a time that works best for you. Also, think about where you’re moving to and what might work best there. For example, if you’re moving to a big city, it might be best to try to schedule your belongings to arrive at night when it would be less likely to be hampered by traffic or parking restrictions.
Ask the Seller for Information About Your New Home
There is always going to be a settling-in period when you arrive at your new home but it’s best if you can minimize the disruption as much as possible. It’s unlikely you will have asked these questions when you were just viewing the new house, but you should find out as much information as possible before you arrive at the new address. Questions you should ask the seller before moving in include:
- Gas/electricity meters: Before arriving at your new address, you should ask where you can find the gas and electricity meters.
- Refuse collection: Depending on where you’re moving, it might be obvious by other people putting out their bins when the refuse is collected from the property – but, if not, ask.
- Any special cleaning requirements: Some floors or surfaces may require specific cleaning products, and it might not be that clear to see just by looking at them.
- Paint or wallpaper: It’s always handy if the owner has kept the same paint or wallpaper they used on the walls in case of scratches or other damage.
- Warranties or user guides: This is particularly applicable to any electrical goods in your new home. Before moving in, you should ask if they have any existing warranty papers or user guides.